This Month's TOPic: ELA Citizenship
Each month we will focus on a topic of high interest for the field. This month we are sharing journal articles, archived webinars, and resources highlighting Advocacy. Download the complete annual schedule of topics (HERE).
Past Monthly Topics
ADVOCATING FOR ADULT EDUCATION: HOW TO ADVANCE STATE AND FEDERAL POLICIES THAT SUPPORT YOUR LEARNERS
Adult educators have a unique perspective to offer when it comes to advocating for adult education -- because educators have on-the-ground experience with adult learners. In this webinar, learn how you can connect the dots between the people you serve and the policies that affect them. Get an overview of key federal and state policies that can provide greater opportunity for adult learners. Find out how you as an adult education advocate can educate policymakers about these issues. Learn about free tools and resources that you can use to advance new policies in your state. And get examples of adult education and skills policy successes that you can build on!
Don't miss this practical webinar featuring Amanda Bergson-Shilcock, Director of Upskilling at National Skills Coalition.
Presented by: Amanda Bergson-Shilcock, Director of Upskilling at National Skills Coalition
- Advocating for Adult Education: How to Advance State and Federal Policies that Support your Learners (PowerPoint)
- Site Visit Checklist (on page 11 of our guide) The focus of the guide is on gubernatorial campaigns, but the checklist applies for any kind of elected official visit to a nonprofit or other organization.
Access archived webinars and resources on Reading by national level presenters and experts.
Register for Upcoming Webinars
CASAS ASSESSMENTS FOR CITIZENSHIP PREPARATION
Leverage the CASAS Life/Work, CIT, or EL Civics COAAPS to help students successfully prepare for the USCIS Naturalization Interview.
Participants will understand that the CASAS Citizenship not only add rigor, but facilitate the successful acquisition of language skills needed to successfully pass the USCIS Naturalization Interview.
I. Review correlation between the CASAS Life/Work Tests and elements of USCIS N-400 Application for Naturalization
II. Discuss CASAS Citizenship Assessments
a) Citizenship Listening Assessment
b) Citizenship Interview Test
c) CASAS Citizenship Resources Bibliography
d) CASAS EL Civics COAPPS 40.4 Mock Interview
1. Adaption of other CASAS EL Civics COAPPS to address elements of the USCIS N-400
2. Inclusion of documented and non-documented ESL students in an EL Civics/Citizenship lesson
Presented by: Jennifer Gagliardi
Date: March 27, 2017
Time: 3:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
View Past Webinars
ENSURING IMMIGRANTS' ACCESS TO WIOA: DATA AND ADVOCACY TOOLS FOR ADULT EDUCATORS
Federally-funded adult basic education and English literacy services are crucial for immigrant and refugee integration. In this webinar, get a detailed overview of issues relating to the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), including concerns about how to ensure service to individuals with the lowest levels of education and English proficiency. You’ll learn about key challenges created by WIOA and its proposed regulations, and strategies that can be used to help ensure equitable service access for diverse learners. In addition, you’ll get a practical demonstration of how to obtain detailed socio-demographic data on learner needs in your community, enabling you to inform policy and planning conversations.
Presenter: Margie McHugh
Resource: Ensuring Immigrants' Access to WIOA: Data and Advocacy Tools for Adult Educators (PowerPoint)
Ensuring Immigrant's Access to WIOA: Data and Advocacy Tools for Adult Educators webinar
generously sponsored by Burlington English
- The Trump Administration and Adult Education: A View from Washington, DC
- Adult Education and WIOA: How to Work Effectively with State and Local Workforce Boards
- I-Better: Successes and Lessons Learned Through Implementing I-Best Programs
- Enhancing Reading Instruction for Adults Using The PIAAC Framework for Literacy