We Need Your Help
On February 9, President Trump signed a Continuing Resolution that includes significant increases in Non-defense Discretionary spending and offers the opportunity to increase funding for Adult Education, among other programs. Now, each Appropriations Committee must decide how to allocate its new funds. We believe that this is a unique opportunity to increase funding for Adult Education by $100 million (a roughly 17 percent increase) from about $582 million to about $682 million.
Please click HERE to write or to call your member of Congress in support of $100 million more for Adult Education. Three quick clicks is all it takes to raise your hand for Adult Education!
COABE Membership Update: February 2018
Stay up to date with what is happening with COABE by reading the February issue of the COABE membership update.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
Highlights Educate & Elevate
In their latest article to raise awareness about the value of adult education, COABE Executive Director Sharon Bonney and NCSDAE Executive Director Pat Tyler express as a key point the need for change in the approach to, and perspective of, adult education. The article titled, "The Relevancy of Adult Education in the Workforce of Today and Tomorrow," was published as part of the U.S. Chamber's blog. Read the article here.
The piece points to the role adult education plays to alleviate the skills gap to help all Americans achieve economic and social mobility. Check out the article, and share it via social media and with your email contacts.
Calling All Adult Education Directors,
Instructors, and Student Leaders
Adult Education Ambassadors Train the Trainer
With generous funding provided by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation, scholarship funding is available for students to attend the Ambassador Training Program at the COABE National Conference on Sunday, March 25th, as well as the first-ever sessions specifically designed for adult learners. Fill out the the Ambassador Training survey for your team. The student identified in your survey response will get a COABE scholarship covering travel and registration for the whole conference, including the preconference Ambassador Training! Learn more >
COABE VIP Vendor: February 2018
Educate & Elevate Public Awareness Campaign
Award winning Educate & Elevate public awareness campaign reaches business leaders through partnership with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
In mid November 2017, COABE and NCSDAE leadership met with the Executive Director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Jason Tyskzko. As a result of that meeting, adult education is now being featured in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce electronic newsletter that goes out to all registered businesses.
COABE 2018 National Award Winners
We are pleased to announce our 2018 National Award Winners. We are committed to honoring the best of the best in our field! Thanks to generous funding provided by The Dollar General Literacy Foundation, we are able to offer our prestigious national level awards for:
Outstanding Adult Learner of the Year
Outstanding Adult Teacher of the Year
Outstanding Administrator of the Year
Dr. Mary Gaston
Outstanding Workplace Award
State Innovation Award
Arizona Association for Lifelong Learning Ambassador
Kathyrn Wisner, Morgan Community College
COABE Membership Insurance Program
More than half of all Americans* are uninsured or say they don’t have enough life insurance ... because they overestimate the cost, they think life insurance is hard to get, or they just haven't taken the time.
Are you one of them?
If the answer is yes, the solution to your "protection gap" may be the Group Term Life Insurance Plan sponsored by Coalition on Adult Basic Education. Here are a few reasons why:
- Rates are competitive. For instance, a member in his or her mid-30s can add $100,000 of protection for less than $6 per month. Find out exactly how much you’ll pay using our rate calculator.
- Once approved, your insurance will remain in-force, to age 80, as long as you pay your premiums when due. You never have to reapply to get the best rates, as with the many “level-term” insurance plans on the market.
- For a limited time, we’re making it easy to apply by waiving the medical exam for members requesting up to $120,000 in coverage. Provide basic information online, then New York Life Insurance Company will call you at a convenient time to gather your health information by phone.
Success Files to Feature Educate & Elevate
With Host & Actor Rob Lowe
Educate & Elevate will be highlighted in "Success Files," an award-winning program that highlights new stories and innovative concepts through groundbreaking documentary presentations. The program airs on PBS and is hosted by actor Rob Lowe.
The Educate & Elevate campaign story will be featured in a short, six-minute documentary about the power and relevancy of adult education and is anticipated to reach 148 million viewers.
Here's a sneak peek into some of the documentary's storylines:
- Dr. Lorraine Morales serves as the president of Pima Community College, but before achieving this status she was a single mother who had dropped out of school. She earned her GED® certificate through adult school classes and continued her studies to earn a doctorate.
- Dr. Richard Carmona grew up on the streets of the Bronx, was homeless at one point, and then dropped out of school to serve in the Army. While in the Army, he earned his GED® credential and two Purple Hearts. He was tapped by President George W. Bush for the position of 17th surgeon general and was the only surgeon general to ever be unanimously confirmed by the Senate.
There are so many amazing stories about the power of adult education, and "Success Files" will be sure to inspire audiences and stimulate conversations across the nation. Stay tuned for air dates.
Educate & Elevate Success Stories
Adult Learner Success Story
Advocacy efforts are underwritten due to a partnership with Aztec Software
Stay connected with our mission to advance national and international adult education and literacy opportunities for all persons. Below is a link to our social media platforms to join and stay connected with us for exclusive opportunities for news, updates, and helpful information.