Is Your State Represented?
Get Involved, and Bring Congress Closer to Home
The COABE Contact Network is a community of people who are interested in educating decision makers – legislators, community leaders, and others – about the importance of adult education. Anyone can join.
As a member of the Network, you will receive legislative updates, advocacy resources, and action alerts designed to help you inform your federal legislators of the successes, challenges, and needs of adult education.
Additionally, you will have opportunities to:
- Learn from other advocates, their successes and challenges
- Share information and alerts and grow your own local network
- Become a go-to resource for decision makers on adult education issues
- Conduct local awareness raising activities for National Adult Education & Family Literacy Week
- Meet amazing people from across the country who care about changing lives through literacy
You may even have the opportunity to travel to DC to visit with legislators and their staffs who work on adult education issues.
How it Works
The COABE Public Policy Committee does the tracking, strategy, and planning for us. They review adult education-related legislation and funding issues and make recommendations for messaging and action based on COABE’s public policy positions.
The COABE Contact Network is the boots on the ground, the legislators’ constituents, who keep legislators and their staffs up to speed on adult education successes, challenges, and needs. It is the constituent – and the adult learner or graduate – who the legislator most often wants to hear from and meet.
COABE recommends that Network members stay in contact with their legislators and staffs four to six times a year through
- regular program updates via letters and e-mails
- program visits
- two to three specific legislative requests from public policy alerts
- thank you letters and calls to legislators
Sign up today. Write us and let us know your goals for participating and how we can help you achieve them. (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)