sUMMER 2017, Volume 6, Number 2
Please enjoy your free e-copy of the 2018 Summer COABE Journal.
Download the Spring 2017 COABE Journal as a PDF file
Download the Spring 2017 COABE Journal as an ePUB file
Opening a fixed-layout ePUB on a MAC or PC
Download of Readium
(required to read this ePUB on your personal computer)
Viewing an ePUB file on a Mac
If you have fairly new Mac laptop or desktop it may well have Apple’s iBooks app pre-installed. This will automatically open any ePUB files (standard or fixed-layout) that you download, so you will not need to download any additional software for viewing ePUB files.
Viewing an ePUB file on a PC computer using Readium
Readium is an add-on that can be installed in the Google Chrome web browser to view ePUB files. Before you can use Readium you must have installed Google Chrome. There are full details on how to install Google Chrome here: https://support.google.com/chrome/
- Readium can be used for viewing both standard and fixed-layout ePUB files.
- Readium will not open a Mobi file.
To use Readium you must download and add it Google Chrome. There are quite a few steps involved and these are detailed below. The instructions are based on a Windows 7 PC but the steps should be similar for most systems.
Download and install Readium
- Open Google Chrome and click the Apps icon in the top left corner or type chrome://apps/ in the address bar.
- Click the ‘Store’ icon.
- Type ‘Readium’ in the search box and hit return.
- Readium should appear at the top of the search results. Click the ‘+ FREE’ button and then ‘Add’ to confirm the new app.
- A new Apps tab will appear and this will now show the Readium logo. Click on this to open Readium.
- When Readium opens it will look like this and prompt you to add a new ePUB file to your library.
- At this point the installation is complete. Whenever you need to open Readium just open Google Chrome, click the Apps icon in the top left of the screen and then the Readium icon.
Save your ePUB file to your computer
- Download the ePUB file to your computer. The file will have a .epub extension after the file name
Open the ePUB file using Readium
- If Readium is not already openfollow step 7 above to start the app.
- Within Readium click the ‘+’ add to library button in the top right of the screen (see above image). A pop-up box will appear, click the first ‘Choose file’ button next to the ‘From Local File:’ label and locate your ePUB file which you saved in Part 2 above. Then click ‘Open’.
- You should see a message that Readium is importing your file and this may take a few moments depending upon the file size. Once it is done your book will appear in your library. Click the cover to open the book.
- You can show or hide the Table of Contents by clicking the icon at the top of the screen and you can navigate through the pages by clicking the arrows at the sides of the screen or by using the left or right arrows on the keyboard.