Employment Bulletin Board
Director of Continuing Education
Somerville Public School
ANNOUNCEMENT OF A VACANCY FOR THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR
Director of Continuing Education
SOMERVILLE CENTER FOR ADULT LEARNING EXPERIENCES (SCALE)
The Director’s primary responsibility is the supervision, planning, and coordination of Somerville Center for Adult Learning Experiences (SCALE) programs and staff.
- Program Planning and Supervision
- Provide leadership in community planning to determine and address the educational needs of
- Somerville’s adult residents
- Provide guidance to Friends of SCALE; serve ex-officio on Friends board and committees
- Lead strategic planning of SCALE, including the development and implementation of a longrange plan
- Provide expertise in the area of adult learning, stay current in the field and serve on local and statewide task forces and committees as needed
- Plan and lead selection of curricular course offerings based on local needs and in conformance with laws and best practice regarding high school equivalency requirements
- Supervise the preparation of a general curriculum each school year and for special projects throughout the school year
- Direct and collaborate with Program Administrators to ensure that adult students interested in continuing their education receive appropriate instruction and counseling
- Plan and direct in-service training programs for adult education faculty
- Participate in community, state, and national activities designed to improve adult education
- Maintain an ongoing program of courses relevant to the needs of immigrants and prospective citizens
- Oversight of Program Finance and Data
- Oversee fiscal tracking and reporting; responsible for SCALE budget, including City/LEA funds, grants, and contracts
- Oversee student record-keeping for all grants and projects, including but not limited to SMARTT data collection
- Supervise the Program Specialist to assure that all Adult and Community Learning Services grants requirements are met
- Oversee the efficient collection and secure deposit registration fees; collect tuition as required and maintain an accurate system of records of all funds
- Prepare and administer the adult education program budget and audit process in close
- coordination with the Director of Finance
- Leads in the development, implementation and management of state and federal grants supporting
- SCALEs staffing and programs
- Program Administration
- Supervise the High School Equivalency Testing Center (HiSET)
- Oversee all supply requisitions for adult education classes, and provide teachers with supplies and materials needed for effective instruction
- Assure that information materials and catalogs are provided to the community, announcing programs and its offerings; supervise publicity of the program
- Assume responsibility for supervising the administration and scoring of tests and examinations and reporting of grades for all courses carrying academic credit or leading to a diploma or certificate
- Maintain complete and accurate records of the program, and prepare such reports as may be required by the Superintendent of Schools
- Staff Supervision and Development
- Supervise all program staff, including bookkeeper in the preparation of payroll information
- Supervise the Adult Diploma Program staff
- Provide effective staff support to provide an environment of continuous learning and improvement of SCALE staff
- Assure that all union contracts are managed effectively
- Administration and Community Outreach
- Supervise the granting and distribution of certificates and diplomas to students successfully fulfilling program requirements
- Communicate with various community agencies are required to support SCALE’s mission
- Conduct staff meetings
- Oversee outreach and public relations including communication of program offerings to the community
- Submit reports on a six-week basis to the Assistant Superintendent
- Perform various other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools
- Master’s Degree in Education, Administration, or other related field
- DESE Administrator Licensure
- Minimum of five years successful teaching/leadership experience in adult education
- Three years of experience as a supervisor or administrator
- Excellent writing ability and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing
- Experience with DESE ACLS guidelines and SMARTT system
- Experience with and commitment to working with students and staff of diverse backgrounds
The Supervisor is directly responsible to the Assistant Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
- Must have sufficient mobility to travel between sites and to local and statewide meetings.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting.
Position Reports to:
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum/Instruction
- To submit your application for consideration, please visit us online at: http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/careers or http://www.schoolspring.com/jobs?employer=16902
- Applications are only accepted online through School Spring.
- Please do not mail or email resumes. Only resumes that are submitted through School Spring will be considered.
- Should you need assistance with the online application process, please contact the Human Resources Office via email at email@example.com
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Somerville Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Somerville Public Schools actively seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds. Grade level and content licensure is required when applicable. Dual licensure including SPED, ESL, ELL, or bilingual licensure and/or proficiency in a language or languages other than English is preferred.
RESEARCH TECHNOLOGIST 2 (DATA AND TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT SPECIALIST)
The Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy (ISAL) is currently seeking a Research Technologist 2 whose primary role is to support the Management Information System Support (MIS) grant and other projects at ISAL and the Goodling Institute for Research in Family Literacy. Primary job responsibilities include working with Pennsylvania Division of Adult Education (DAE) staff and MIS staff on the eDataV2 system to help adult educators effectively use the system and enter data accurately. Part of this role also involves providing professional development to increase adult educators’ skills and knowledge in using the data system successfully by helping to create and present webinars, and through individual instruction and consultation via telephone and email. These professional development activities provide an opportunity for creativity and a chance to hone data analysis and research skills.
This position will share the responsibility of updating and troubleshooting the Microsoft Access database template to support quantitative data analysis along with other tech support related functions. This tech support role provides an opportunity to help professionals in the adult education field address challenges with data collection and use. Additional duties will include supporting other projects with data collection and analysis tasks such as creating charts and tables for reports. Current experience with databases and up-to-date technology skills are required. Experience in adult education and technical support, data analysis and familiarity with Survey Monkey, Excel, Access, and relational databases is preferred. The successful candidate will also have excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills and a desire to work in a fun, fast paced team environment.
Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or higher plus four years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This is fixed-term appointment funded for one year from date of hire with excellent possibility of re-funding.
Social Media Specialist
Anyone here love social media so much that they'd be willing to extend their talents to a nonprofit board? If you think spending a few hours per month managing, analyzing and optimizing social media content (owned and paid) for three channels (not to mention building your network and boosting your resume!) sounds like fun, please lmk! I have an awesome opportunity. (You don't even need to be in Syracuse!) Contact LiteracyCNY's Marketing and Communications Committee Chair Danielle Gerhart at dgerhart@LiteracyCNY.org for more information!