Get Ready to Hit the Hill
This week education advocates from around the country will "hit the Hill" to inform legislators about the importance of adult education, as COABE hosts its 4th Capitol Hill Day on September 26, 2017. This important event brings together state association leaders, state directors, and students from around the country to march on Capitol Hill and ensure we raise the voice of adult education.
If you are not attending this event in person, you can still support our advocates by sharing in the success and networking on social media and the COABE App. You can also support this important work by using our "quick fire" email to legislators including mayors, governors, and members of congress. It takes less than a minute to do your part! And, when you use our system, the emails will get through firewalls to the legislators. Click here.
Advocacy efforts are underwritten due to a partnership with Aztec Software
Is Your State Ready for This Week's Advocacy Efforts?
As adult education leaders across the nation make a coordinated advocacy effort this week in briefings and meetings to policy makers, the Educate & Elevate Campaign website will be front and center as a key communications tool. Our Map Locator Tool will be a primary medium for Congressional members to look up the innovations and success stories happening within each state.
Check your state's landing page using the Map Locator Tool to ensure all information is correct and that you are well represented in terms of a multitude of stories and innovations.
Adult Learner Success Story
Advocacy efforts are underwritten due to a partnership with Aztec Software
Story Musgrave Joins Educate & Elevate as Campaign Advocate
The Educate & Elevate Campaign is leading the charge to raise awareness about the many faces and relevance of adult education. Federal budget proposals for 2018 suggest a cut of $95 million to adult education programs, including literacy courses, as part of a larger $9 billion cut to the Department of Education budget.
To help safeguard these vital programs, the Educate & Elevate Campaign is a national endeavor aimed at highlighting how an investment in adult education represents a bold commitment to America’s future. A big part of the campaign is to highlight success stories and the many surprising faces of adult learners who are advocates for adult education.
Story Musgrave is one such example who is an advocate for the campaign. Mr. Musgrave has an amazing story in that he never finished school, but instead ran off to Korea with the U.S. Marines where he was an aircraft electrician and an engine mechanic. He started flying with the Marines and over the next 55 years accumulated 18,000 hours in more than 160 aircraft.
Using adult education as a catalyst for change, Mr. Musgrave obtained a GED® diploma and went on to become the only astronaut to have flown in all five space shuttles resulting in six space flights. He has earned seven graduate degrees and 20 honorary doctorate degrees.
“Funding for adult education is critical to our nation’s success,” said Musgrave. “We must include everyone in helping them to achieve their educational goals, and we need to prepare them for life, for a career, and for college no matter where they are in their educational journey.”
In the coming weeks, expect to hear more stories from leaders like Musgrave about the value of adult education as Educate & Elevate seeks to advocate for this vital resource. If you have an extraordinary example of someone who has used adult education as a catalyst, resulting in exceptional success, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEMBERSHIP UPDATE: September 2017
Stay up to date with what is happening with COABE by reading the September issue of the COABE membership update. In this issue:
Champion of the Week: HATS Off To COLLO
The Coalition of Lifelong Learning Organizations (COLLO) has taken steps to announce its participation and echo support for the Educate & Elevate Campaign through its website. Formally established in 1973, COLLO consists of national associations and groups that share a common interest in enhancing the field of lifelong learning (adult and continuing education) throughout the nation. These organizations represent public schools, institutions of higher education, industry, labor groups, and most importantly, the learners themselves.
COLLO brings its member organizations together to foster closer cooperation and coordination of efforts to develop, maintain, and improve adult learning in the United States. Internationally, the Coalition encourages networking among adult educators interested in international lifelong learning education.
Email Outreach: An Easy Way to Meet Your Legislators
Do you want a super easy way to reach your legislators to ask for support for our adult education mission? All you have to do is follow these 3 easy steps.
- Click here to access our form and input your contact information and zip code.
- When you click “submit,” a pre-populated, editable support email appears ready to send.
- Click “submit” and the email automatically goes to the correct legislator(s) based on your zip code.
Mobilizing States in the Educate & Elevate Campaign
We just wrapped our latest webinar hosted for Adult Education State Association Presidents, State Directors and State Leadership about strategies to mobilize their statewide adult education organizations to participate in the Educate & Elevate campaign. In addition to the cross promotional strategies noted in the previous article, there are many ways that states will be participating. Some of these include:
- Using the press release template to announce participation in the campaign.
- Conducting a webinar with state adult education organizations to engage them in the campaign.
- Sending regular email blasts to statewide adult education organizations to submit success stories and/or innovations.
- Encouraging statewide adult education organizations to listen to the recorded webinars, in order to build capacity for effective communications.
- Forwarding campaign information and newsletters to distribution list.
- Submitting innovations to the campaign website.
- Submitting employer success stories to the campaign website.
- Submitting adult learner success stories to the campaign website.
- Using the sample proclamation to get support from state legislators.
- Creating special event(s) like open houses for the community to learn about adult education.
- Creating special event(s) for legislators to see adult education programs in action.
- Determining a state plan of action for legislative briefings.
- Using COABE's technology tool to schedule legislative briefings.
- Sending letters and/or postcards to legislators asking them to support adult education.
- Sharing the campaign video through email.
- Using the legislative talking points in our briefings.
State Adult Education Association Directors and State Leaders make sure to weigh in using this quick Survey Monkey checkbox
survey to let us know what your plans are for participation. Download the recorded webinar if you missed it.
Educate & Elevate Champion Highlights
Did you know that cross promoting the Educate & Elevate campaign on your website can bring recognition to your organization? And, we've made it super easy for you to participate.
Take a look at the following Educate & Elevate Champions who have been very creative in their cross promotional efforts by placing the Educate & Elevate logo on their websites in various locations as a "proud partner"; using #educate&elevate and sending updates via social media; special announcements; and sending eblasts to its members with updates.
- Alabama Association for Public Continuing and Adult Education
- Alaska Adult Education Association
- Arizona Association for Lifelong Learning
- California Council for Adult Education
- Connecticut Association for Adult and Continuing Education
- Joliet Junior College
- Kentucky Adult Education
- Louisiana Association for Public, Community, and Adult Education
How can you, as one adult educator, make a difference to achieve these goals? Our plug-and-play Campaign Toolkit gives you many ways to garner recognition for your local adult education brand while advancing our collective mission to secure funding.
Check out these helpful links to get started:
- Register for the Learning Forum and review past webinars and materials.
- Get the Campaign Toolkit for strategies to build your local brand.
Have a question or need help? Post it in the Learning Forum and get technical assistance.
Get Students, Colleagues, Family & Friends Involved
Here are three quick strategies to build funding support for adult education with your students, family, and friends.
- Share this link with your friends, family, and colleagues to send a ready-made support email to state and federal elected officials. The template automatically finds the right contact based on the zip code submitted.
- Share this link with your adult learners/students to send a ready-made support email template to their state and federal elected officials. Students can add their stories, sharing how adult education made a difference in their lives. This template also automatically finds the right contact based on the zip code submitted.
- Complete and print copies of this editable postcard to bring to class, and have students sign and mail to your local, state and federal officials.
2017 COABE Virtual Conference
COABE's 2017 Virtual Conference will take place on October 25 & 26, 2017. We plan to have 16 - 20 sessions offered by our strand partners, over the course of two days, as well as a virtual exhibit hall, just like last year.
State associations and state directors can purchase registration for their entire state, for just $500. Individuals may register at $25 per day or $50 for both days. Registration is now open!
VIP Vendor sEPTEMBER 2017: PEARSON
NEW BENEFIT OFFERED TO COABE MEMBERS
Stay connected with our mission to advance national and international adult education and literacy opportunities for all persons. Below is a link to our social media platforms to join and stay connected with us for exclusive opportunities for news, updates, and helpful information.